Useful Links

British Citizenship

Long Rsidency ILR

Life in the UK test
OISC Approved Advisor

Form for ILR

Permanent resident in the UK

If you have unlimited leave to remain in the UK and you are free from immigration control than you are known as permanent resident of the United Kingdom.

For foreign nationals to become UK permanent resident they need to apply for permission to settle in the UK also known as indefinite leave to remain (ILR). A person who has indefinite leave to remain, visa status will be known as settled person.

Settled status is the most usual route to naturalisation or to become a British citizen. Settled status or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is also important where a child of non-British citizen parents is born in the UK, as unless at least one parent has settled status the child will not automatically be a British citizen.

Benefit of becoming UK Resident

Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) gives the freedom to live and work in the UK without any restriction. Unlike people with Limited Leave to Remain (LTR) in United Kingdom, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) holders do have access to public funds. The wordings "No recourse to public funds" is not written in ILR holders' visas. As a result, they are able to claim job seekers allowances and other benefits which are usually available to UK citizens.

ILR holders also pay Home Student (i.e. UK citizens) rates on educational institutions in UK. That is, they are not charged as international students like LTR visa holders - if they want to study courses in any UK institutions however, to be considered for home student fee; the individual most have lived in the UK above three years as a settled person or free from immigration control.

How to Get UK ILR

If you have lived in the United Kingdom for a certain period of time (between two and fourteen years), have already shown a commitment to the UK on a temporary visa than you will be able to apply for permanent UK residency, depending on the category of visa you have. There are different ways in which an individual might obtain the right to live and work in the UK indefinitely, some of which are:

  • Five years of continuous residence in the UK as a work permit holder, a Highly Skilled Migrant, under Tier 1 or Tier 2 of the new Points Based System, or a combination of any or all of the above
  • Four years' HSMP Judicial Review
  • Two years residence in the UK as the Spouse of a British Citizen or a Settled Person
  • 10 or 14 years contineous residency
  • New born Child of a settled person

Please note that all settlement application, set(o) form for Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) except Four years HSMP judicial review need Life in UK test certificate.

Applying for ILR

Once you have completed required time period, passed the Life in the UK test and gathered all required documents you can start the process of filing your application for ILR. You can send your completed application either Set (0) or Set (M) form with relevant documents to Home office by post or you can apply directly in person to a Home Office Public Enquiry Office for the same-day visa service (Premium Service).

However, securing an appointment with UK Border Agency for Same-day visa service can be very difficult and time consuming due to a shortage of appointment slots. Applicants may repeatedly fail to secure appointments for Same-day visa service, and where they succeed, their appointment is likely to be in several weeks time.

So, if you are in urgent need for ILR Visa application than you can use one of the OISC registered immigration advisor for same day (premium) visa service.